Saturday, January 13, 2007

...I started a blog?

It's night in Dupont Circle, Washington D.C., and I'm a man on a mission. Thirteen days into January, my life has become something I wouldn't have recognized last Thanksgiving. If nothing else I have learned this: time moves quickly, has sharp edges, and drags you through some strange and unexpected puddles. I've never had much luck steering the runaway carnival float that is my life, nor at handling the inevitable collisions - I think the best that I can do is try to understand the wreckage I leave in my wake and resolve to duck sooner next time. We learn from our mistakes, and if history's any guide I plan on learning a lot in 2007. Specifically, I plan on having (engineering, if necessary) at least one genuinely memorable experience every day. To accomplish this goal I will very probably have to resort at times to painful acts of self-humiliation. This is different from how I used to live my life. Now I have a reason.

BONUS:

...I was in grave fake danger?

True! This afternoon a battalion of D.C. police descended on my neighborhood and strung up yellow crime scene tape all around the block. The Circle itself was cordoned off - prompting one heavily earringed and lip-studded cynic to surmise that they'd finally decided to start rounding up and shooting gays - until it turned out that the suspicious suitcase that had brought the K-9 units slavering like Pavlov's dinner bell was in fact no danger to anybody. Still. Something could in theory have happened. And if it had, it would have happened to me.

No comments: